Dear Reader,
Many Peace Corps volunteers all over the world have turned to blogging. I think this is a useful and great way to convey the experiences of living and working in a foreign culture to interested people such as family, friends and others. Through blogs, many people can learn more about cultures they may never experience through the viewpoint of another. It's my wish to get started with my own blog before I start my own journey through the Peace Corps. This entry is part disclaimer, part introduction and part test entry so I can figure out how this works in the convenience of my home and not in a pay per minute internet cafe on the other side of the world. I'll start with the disclaimer:
DISCLAIMER PART
The opinions, viewpoints, experiences, cultural understandings and misunderstandings that are contained in this blog are from my viewpoint, and only my viewpoint. This blog does not represent the opinions of the Peace Corps, the Government of the United States or any other country's Government, my Alma Mater, my family, my friends, previous or future employers, current and previous co-workers or any other sentient being. This blog may contain an occasional entry that is borrowed from my friends, family, and/or co-workers, but only with their previous consent.
INTRODUCTION PART
Well, my name is Kyle. I graduated in May 2008 from Illinois Wesleyan University with a degree in Political Science and a minor in Sociology. During my last year in college, I applied to the Peace Corps, a process that took around 9 months. I was accepted to serve in Kazakhstan in the Organizational and Community Assistance Program (OCAP) which basically amounts to assisting a not for profit or non governmental organization (NGO).
I leave in less than a month, and am really excited to have this opportunity, as it seems like I will be fulfilling two life-goals at once: working with a not for profit or NGO and experiencing about a new culture. The reasons I have started this blog are to record many of my experiences, to give others the chance to learn about a new culture, and to give people a small glimpse of what Peace Corps service could potentially be like, although I've been told that experiences vary widely.
So, Reader, there you have it. I'll write more in the coming weeks before my departure (but not too much, because this is a blog about Kazakhstan, and I'm not there yet!)
Above all, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to comment!
~K-chuck
No comments:
Post a Comment