Friday, November 14, 2008

Burned Butt and the Banya

The last time I took a shower was last Thursday, November 6. As long as I stay in my village, I probably will not take a shower until sometime next year. However, I am not dirty, and I might be the cleanest I have ever been because of the banya.

In many communities that lack running heated water in Kazakhstan, the banya is the best way to get clean. Even in places that do have running heated water, banyas are still around because they are a way to relax. The best way I can describe a banya is that it is a sauna that you can clean yourself in at the same time. Banyas can be "wet" or "dry". Wet banyas have steam, usually by pouring water on hot rocks. Dry banyas just have heat. I like banyas because they can be very relaxing in addition to getting squeaky clean.

How to Banya:

Banyas usually have 2 rooms, and if they are awesome, 3 rooms. In the first room you take off and store your clothes. The second room is a cooling off room. I can only describe the 3rd room as "hot as f***". In this room, sit back (very carefully, avoiding all hot surfaces), relax, and then clean yourself using the water and bucket provided. If you are lucky, you will have a friend who will help wash your back.

After sustaining a burned butt and injured pride from my first experience, I feel compelled to offer up the following advice to future banya goers:

  1. Everything inside the "hot as f***" room is hot! Be careful when you touch things!
  2. You will be naked inside the "hot as f***" room. Do not brush up against things such as the wall and the water heater. They will be hot and you can burn yourself in some embarrassing places!
  3. There is no reward and no extra honor for staying in the "hot at f***" room the longest. If you are overheating, go into the cooler rooms, and then return when you are fine.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Love it! I also love that I no longer have to banya, due to my INSIDE shower! I know I probably shouldn't tell you about it tho! Thanks for the advice!

Top Farm said...

Seems like you having a rather challenging but exciting time. At least get to the banya for your birthday. Take care.