Since I arrived in Kazakhstan, more weird and exciting things and opportunities have been happening to me than when I lived in America. I think it is because I am the only American in my town, and people seek me out with new ideas. I really don't mind; I love new adventures and challenges and it keeps my semi-village life in Karabulak interesting.
Today, it was two college students who came into the one room that serves as my organizations office/classroom and asked if they could intern with me for the next month. Actually, the exact word was "practicum", (the word "intern" or "volunteer" isn't really used here), but the idea was the same as an internship: They will work when I work, do what I do, and learn some new skills and English while helping me out with projects (or the one project I have right now, constructing a plan for a new building).
I find the whole situation hilarious. I've never had interns before. In fact, around this time last year, I was finishing up an internship myself at State Farm Insurance Company. I followed people around; worked a 7:00-3:15 (NOT a 9-5. I love flex time!), and assisted them with their projects. They tolerated my questions, were patient in helping me along, listened to my ideas, no matter how outlandish, and demanded only the best from me. And now, I'll get to experience it from their side. I'll know I'll be using the mentors I had there as a model for this intern/volunteer/practicum experience I am supposed to create.
That is, if they show up next Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment