Friday, February 6, 2009

The internship of nothing

At least they showed up.

Reflecting on this past week and my first experience with having interns, it was an awkward, rough week. It's hard to delegate a project if you do not have a steady, stable project yourself. I do have that new building project, but right now that the project is on hiatus while I wait for the contractor people to draw up a list of stuff that they need.

However the good news was that they showed up and were actually early. I should probably describe the two "practicants" (I'll call them interns from now on). They are 17 years old girls that love the Pussycat Dolls, guys, cell phones, and monti. I only like one of those four things. Minus their musical choices they have a lot of potential and I think I'll enjoy working with them, if we can find a stable project.

The following contains what we did (or didn't do) each day for the first week and how I felt about it. I wrote these throughout the week, but only got internet access today. I'm so disappointed and frustrated that they have so much potential but we can't do anything.

Monday

"You received that many A's and you still can't talk?! That's bull! "

I actually said this to my interns today. Good thing they didn't understand what I said. Or anything else for that matter.

I was pissed because they told me that they had over 6 years of English language instruction in which they got really good grades. However, when prompted they cannot remember basic greetings, days of the week, or numbers. Speaking of a lack of practical language abilities, I HATE how language is taught in many schools in America and around the world. In many cases, language is treated the same way as the hard sciences, and it shouldn't be that way. Written tests are a horrible method for determining how well a person uses a language. I don't care how many blanks you filled in and how many tests you aced. Just talk to me!

These interns wanted business instruction in English, but their language is so basic it will be impossible. They have a practicum plan but we are not going to follow it. We'll work together to make a new one. I am not a teacher but their language is so weak that they cannot function in a business environment like their syllabus demands. Therefore, I am going bombard them with language the first week and then ease up as we start to do projects. What projects? I don't know, but I have a week to think of some.

Tuesday

As much as I complain to my director that written tests are not a good evaluation of language ability, these two have great potential. They catch on really quick to whatever I throw in front of them. However, I know that learning a new language is difficult and tedious. I need something that will spark their interest. I don't think I have a lot of time to find it because as 16 year old girls their attention span is short. I'm already starting to lose them. They are not independent enough for me to give them tasks (and what would I give them anyway?) so I told them to come in the afternoon from 2-5 instead of all day. I don't want to teach them English, but they need to know at least a little bit if they are going to deal with me for the rest of the month.

However, we decided on a new plan. They will help me do an English club. They get practice with English, basic project planning, some translating and teaching experience, and I get a new thing to do. A perfect plan? We'll see.

Wednesday

I think I may have found the thing that will motivate them: music, and in particular the Pussycat Dolls. Personally, I think they are a pitiful musical group: their cd's are a waste of space; their music pollutes the air, and their music videos are cool if you push the mute button. The lead (the only?) singer has talent, but the rest of them fail as musicians. However my interns love them and I'm going to use them as a tool for them to learn more language. They like to translate their songs, so we'll do that for practice. I've got to give it to the main (the only?) singer: her words are clear as a bell and easy to understand.

Thursday

Today's lesson: always have a back-up plan. Today's plan was brilliant: They would arrive at 2:30. We would go to the local school, meet the English teacher who already has an English club scheduled for next Monday (so we don't have to make one!), and then spend the rest of the day and tomorrow learning vocab, games, and tactics for doing an English club.

This all fell apart when the teacher didn't come. I didn't have a back-up plan, so I just sent them home. I'm horrible at this teaching thing and an even worse mentor.

Friday

No interns today. In fact, even I didn't work today. Why work when there is nothing to work on? I really don't know what we are going to do next week. The contractor people need another week to figure out what they need for the new office, and my director is out of ideas. I have ideas, but we need a space to do them; a space larger than a small kitchen. It all comes back to that building.

No comments: