Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I went to Kyrgyzstan (you should too)

I finally took my first days off from work to go on a vacation. My destination: Kyrgyzstan. It is a popular place for Kazakhstan tourists and suprisingly, alpine hikers and mountain climbers and skiers because of the very high mountains in the region. The promise of sun, a beach like experience, hot springs, and looking at the second highest peak in the former USSR influenced me to buy a bus ticket to the town of Karakol at my first oppurtunity. I wish I had pictures, but I fell on my camera and broke it. It served me well; it lasted me for a long time. I may get pictures from my traveling buddy, but with how technology is here, it may take a little while. I'll put up what I can when I get them.

However, while the scenery was awesome, the one thing that will always stand out with me was the people that I met on this trip. Kyrgyz (which is related to Kazakh), and Russian are both spoken in Kyrgyzstan, and I had a blast talking to everyone.


  • 3 cyclists who are attempting to go across Asia to London. They stopped in Almaty for a couple of days, and we ran into each other while trying to secure a Kyrgyz visa. They have an interesting travel log at http://www.brakingboundaries.org/. I wish them the best of luck and hope they make it to their goal!

  • The PCV's in Kyrgyzstan. Suprisingly, we ran into a lot of volunteers, and it was great to sit down and compare notes on our experiences. Some things are different, other things shockingly the same, but it's all Peace Corps!

  • Discussing "Gamburgers" with a Austrailian hiker ("H" is substituted with "G" with certain words, for example: "Garry Potter," Germione". Don't ask me why, I don't have a clue) The Gamburger is more like a sloppy joe with and ketchup with cole slaw. Anyways...

  • Talking to the caretaker of Yak Tours. He's a older man who lives in Urlask, and makes a yearly journey from Russia to Kyrgyzstan because he likes to meet new people and it beats watching TV on the couch.

  • The sheep herders near Altyrn Arashan. They stay out in the wilderness for up to 6 months at a time, tending sheep, cattle, and horses. It's a rough life, but a simple one, and I enjoyed talking with them and sharing our cultures together.

  • A former Israeli soldier who wishes desperatly for peace.

  • A Korean student who does not like hot springs

Anyway, I had a blast and was amazed at the beauty of the country.

1 comment:

kiwiot said...

Hi Kyle,

Just found your post that mentioned us (the 3 cyclists)

Thought I'd let you know that we arrived in London after 6 months and 14,000 km safe and sound.

Great to meet you.

Jared