Imagine what would happen if you forgot your girlfriend's birthday. And then you didn't get her a present for Christmas. And then for Valentine's Day, you sent cards to all of her friends except her.
Take a moment to think about how angry she would be. Take that anger, multiply it by two hundred thousand, and it still wouldn't equal half of the shame you would receive for forgetting Women's Day in Kazakhstan.
March 8, Women's day, is an official holiday in many countries (We did not work) but isn't celebrated in the United States. I think this is a bit weird because the idea of setting aside a day to honor women started in the United States. Yes, in the US we have Mother's day, also a good holiday, but Women's day is to honor all females, regardless of whether they are mothers or not.
Check out here for a short rundown and a short 2 min video (in English) about Women's Day.
Women's day is a big deal…You do not have to do a lot for the day, but you have to do something.
For the women at the Local Community Foundation, I bought a potted plant that will bloom every year around Woman's day. I also called my old director in Karabulak, who gave me a "Well done" in Russian (it is rare for my old director to say well done. Not that I did a bad job while I was working there…she only says it when she is really happy). For my friends at my old site, I bought small gifts, and will save them until I go back to visit. In the meanwhile, I called them to wish them a happy Woman's Day.
I tried to call my friend who tutored me in Taldykorgan, but I dialed the wrong number and got an angry man instead. I also called my host families, and got to talk with babushka, who yelled at me for my relationship problems. She also told me to eat more and to study my Russian. How she knows that I am thinner and took a break from studying Russian eludes me. She hasn't seen me since August. This just reinforces my belief that babushkas are always correct.
Now...a short two weeks before one of the biggest holidays in Kazakhstan!
2 comments:
I like this idea. We should do this here in the states.
Ура! Жду тебя...!
Also yes, babushkas are always right. I called mine for Women's Day, too :D
Post a Comment