Monday, August 4, 2008

Packing!

One thing that I've found to be very stressful in my days leading up to leaving is figuring out what to pack. Kazakhstan is a country of extremes, with temperatures going consistently below zero in the winter to over 100 degrees in the summer. Since it is summer, it is almost impossible to find clothing that would keep me warm during the winter in stores. In addition, I had to buy lots of new work clothes, which are a pain to pack. Based on some emails and conversations with current Peace Corps volunteers, the common message has been "less is better because you will be carrying your bags for long distances. With that in mind, this is my list of what I'll be taking:
  • 7 t-shirts
  • 2 long sleeved t-shirts
  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 2 pairs of shorts
  • 2 windbreaker/lounge pants
  • 5 pairs of normal socks
  • 4 pairs of wool socks ( These should help against the cold)
  • 3 pairs of dress socks
  • 1 black suit
  • 1 bathing suit
  • 7 ties
  • 5 long sleeve dress shirts
  • 2 short sleeve dress shirts
  • 1 reversible brown/black belt (I'm happy about this!)
  • 1 pair of dress shoes
  • 1 pair sneakers
  • 1 pair flip-flops
  • 1 pair soccer shoes
  • 1 pair of thermal underwear
  • 1 light wind/rainproof jacket
  • 1 fall pea coat
  • toiletries
  • 1 small handtowel
  • 1 laptop and cds
  • ipod

All of this stuff will be crammed into a large suitcase and a large duffel bag. Knowing that there will be things I wish I didn't bring (and stuff I'll realize later that I should have taken with me), I think this can get the job done for now. But knowing me, this list will change up to the second that I check my bags.

No comments: