Thursday, February 18, 2010

I can has...cat?

When I was back in America, a lot of friends and family asked me “what do people eat in Kazakhstan that is different from the US?” Horse meat was usually the first thing that came to my mind, as it is eaten in Kazakhstan, but not in America. I got some interesting looks from people when I said this, but not as many as I thought.

However, Central Asia isn’t the only region where horse meat is eaten. After talking to the father of a friend, I learned that it is occasionally eaten in European countries such as Switzerland and Italy.

Say what you will about horse meat, but one dish that is not eaten in Kazakhstan: Cat stew.

My organization and I had a collective "WTF?" moment when I translated this article for them during our chai break...which happened to last about 6 hours today.


What can I say? Slow week at the office.

No comments: