After about 24 hours of constant travel and skipping over 2 continents. I am back in Kazakhstan. God, where to start? I think the first thing is to say the biggest thank you possible to all of my family and friends who I saw in the states. When many people (myself included) think of Peace Corps, they think of it as a solo affair, taken on by one person, on their own, in a foreign land. For the most part, that is true. But while I may be physically “alone”, mentally I know I have so many good people supporting me, helping me, or just thinking of me. Just knowing this goes a long way when I’m having crappy days.
So what did I do while I was there? Lots of stuff. Some highlights:
· My little brother drove me around. This was a bit weird, especially since he got into a car accident the day I arrived in Iowa, and that last time I saw him, he didn’t have his permit. But he’s getting better at the driving bit. Even if he tries to stop like he’s driving a go-kart.
· I got plenty of puppy love and caught up with an old friend that I hadn’t seen since before we graduated. We are both the international traveling kind, so it’s rare that our paths cross. I was glad that they did, at least for a couple of days, as hanging out with her and her family was one of the best things I did in America. Hooray for catching up on life (in person!)
· ate cake, pizza, and Ranch dressing with the family of a high school friend. (No…I don’t think that I can get bridenapped. It just doesn’t work that way.)
· playing (and losing) at pool with my favorite married couple. Also saw their cat, which I think ate a pair of these, because it has a vertical leap of at LEAST 6 feet.
· reconnected with fraternity brothers and college friends at a bar in Chicago. I haven’t been picked up and given bear hugs since…well…college! It was great to see so many good people.
· gave presentations about Peace Corps and NGOs in Kazakhstan at Illinois Wesleyan University. This went better than I thought, because I was very nervous that I’d be boring.
· Tried with her father to convince Hil that men’s bathrooms lack toilets because they only have urinals. She didn’t believe us. Then I watched her choreograph a musical. That was cool.
· Hunted for Jellybeans and “discovered” some new flavors.
All of it was fun, but very overwhelming. When I come back, I’m going to take it slower. Way slower.
One of my fears was that I wouldn’t be able to function in the US after being gone so long, but after the past couple of weeks, I’m not worried about that anymore. I’ll be able to function in American society when I come back (with a little bit of help).
What I am still concerned about: finding a job. America wasn’t all fun and no work, as I did two informational interviews, and visited 2 other not for profit organizations in Chicago and Bloomington/Normal. I wasn’t asking for a job, but I just wanted to know that if the skills I have learned and worked on while in Kazakhstan would be useful in America. The short answer: yes! And who said that the Peace Corps didn’t have any practical purpose on future employment?
So…here’s to beginning the last 9 months of my service. Back to work…hopefully I’ll have a post about a new project in the near future!
1 comment:
way to go! and good luck on the next 9 months
Post a Comment