I want to say a huge "thank you" to everyone who texted, called, emailed, instant messaged, and wrote on my Facebook wall wishing me a happy birthday. I spent the day doing laundry and packing up my things so that I can move with ease when I find a new place. Laundry's a big deal for me. For the first time since I've arrived in Kazakhstan, all of my clothes are clean. This is quite a feat, considering that I wash my clothes in a bucket by hand and rinse them in the bathtub.
My birthday could have been more awesome, but I would have had to put a lot of effort into it. In Kazakhstan, the birthday person organizes everything on their own: they cook the food, hang the decorations, and clean up. If they go out to a café, the birthday person foots the bill. I thought about cooking some American food and inviting some people over, but it would have been a lot of work and I wasn't willing to do that. This is one of the few times that I am not culturally open: I will not cook for others on my birthday!
There is also the crazy landlady. I have a cautious truce with her: she allows me to stay until the end of the month and I don't ask for my money back. Given her talent of storytelling, I do not want to give her any other opportunities to make up more stuff. The people who matter do not take her seriously, but she is an annoyance that I really do not want to deal with right now. I also want to keep things as peaceful as possible until I go.
Besides, considering what happened last year on my birthday, laundry isn't a bad deal.
4 comments:
Yay! Happy birthday!
A big "You're Welcome!" Though I'd likely, and rightly, be single if I DIDN'T call you on this day.
Love you!
oh geez. i was reading up on your living situation before i left, and apparently, since where it's left off it hasn't gotten better. sorry dude. i hope wherever this newest move takes you it brings you comfort and 'spoksiya!!'. good luck with that.
How did I f-ing miss your birthday again! I suck, sorry! Happy belated B-day!
Post a Comment