Friday, December 25, 2009

Scrooge: not welcome in Kazakhstan

Although it is hard to get into a working groove because of the numerous holidays in December, my organization and I have been busy this month. For the couple of weeks, my organization and I have been working on a project to buy presents for low income handicapped children in our area. They did a similar project last year, but wanted this one to be bigger and better. Together, we located 80 children in our region who fit our qualifications and invited them and their families to a New Years celebration.

An interesting thing about the project was how we were able to get money to buy the gifts for over 80 children and to finance the celebration. We went to the local banks, stores, and individuals asking if they would help us. While many stores and individuals did not want to give money, they gave gifts instead. Larger businesses donated a "holiday tree", food, candy, and sound equipment for the celebration. In-kind donations seem to be the rage in Esik, and personally, I prefer it when someone gives an item or a service to a charitable cause than money.


Store in Esik that gave a boatload of candy

My job was to help out the newest volunteers to the Local Community Fund. We took the philanthropy to the streets, going stall to stall at the bazaar talking about the event and encouraging people to give money or presents. They are a rambunctious group (and the fastest Russian/Kazakh speakers I have EVER heard) that love to have fun. It went way better than I expected. We had a lot of fun, and I think that they are interested in helping out with future projects.
everyone together!


volunteers with hats

at the bazaar



1 comment:

Michael Hotard said...

wow, that's kinda a project we worked on during our practicum. i'm glad it's working out. happy holidays!