Yesterday, my organization held our biggest New Year’s philanthropic event: a New Year’s party for handicapped kids in our region. In Kazakhstan, many handicapped children and kids in wheelchairs do not go to school. All of the schools have New Year’s parties, and we felt that no child should be left out.
All of this month, my organization with our small group of volunteers asked businesses, other NGO’s, banks, and private citizens on the street to give presents, candy, or whatever they wanted so that the children could have a great holiday party. I’m still amazed at the response and generosity of the people who gave in the town.
The party was a great time that was enjoyed by all. I know some of the pictures look weird; that the children are in costumes dancing around the Christmas tree “Maypole style”. In Kazakhstan, New Years is a chance for children to dress up, like the US version of Halloween. I think Kazakhstan is the only place on Earth where you can see a mouse whirling a princess around a Christmas Tree on New Years!
Mayday meets Halloween and Christmas
Дед Мороз, “the Freezing Father”, or simply “Russian Santa” also got into the act. He appeared with his helper, and assisted us in giving out presents and candy to the 81 children and families we had at the event.
I’m still not sure who exactly his helper in blue is. I asked a couple of families what she was, and I got a lot of conflicting answers such as:
- "She’s Santa's granddaughter.”
- "She’s Santa's wife.”
- "She’s his niece.”
- "She’s not married. You COULD marry her, you know. I know her aunt/sister/mother! Let me introduce you…” (this happened more than once, especially when I asked a babushka).
I really don’t think anyone knows exactly who she is. If you know who Russian Santa's helper is supposed to be, please tell me. I don’t want to marry her, I’m just curious.
All in all, it was a great event, and it made me really happy to see all of the joy on the kids (and their parent’s) faces. It was clear that the party made their day! It also made my day too, as seeing happy kids and parents. It was a good reminder of why am here.
Today is our last day at work. We are all very happy with the work we have done this year, and look forward to working together in 2010. While we have a break until the 5th of January, for me, the New Year brings a new adventure: a trip across the steppe to central Kazakhstan to help out at a culture camp.
To all, I wish a happy New Year and the best of luck in 2010!
1 comment:
It seems like she's a bit of all depending on which story you look to (although she's called Sneguroshka? Awesome). Hope you had a lovely Christmas!
Post a Comment